What is a Champion?
We encourage all our swimmers to read the following (supplied by Andy) – print it out, and read it daily! Download “What is a champion?” here.
Wanting to be a Champion should not be just a statement of desire, but a commitment to make those 1000’s of little life choices each day to make sure you become a winner! Champions are not made on the day of the gala; they are made in the days, months and years of training before the meet.
- A Champions Choice is made at 9.00pm, when a decision is made to turn off the TV and phone, click offline or leave a friend’s house early, to get to bed ready for morning training.
- A Champions Choice is made when a group of your friends decide to have a party where junk food, alcohol, cigarettes and maybe even drugs are available, but you decide not to go.
- A Champions Choice is made when a pasta dish or baked potato is chosen instead of burgers and chips, and cereal bars and fruit are chosen instead of chocolate and crisps.
- A Champions Choice is made when you beast 2 hours of gruelling training, battling through tiredness, oxygen debt, lactic acid and hunger, but still hit perfect turns, great pace and never quit.
- A Champions Choice is made when you choose the hardest option in training, because you know it will make you tougher.
- A Champions Choice is to never make excuses for failing, but to do whatever it takes to put it right.
If you make “Champion Choices” and win all of these daily battles, you will stand on those blocks with the confidence of a Champion, the inner strength of a Champion and will race like a Champion.
Being a Champion is not a magical, mythical status that you can never achieve; they started at the same point as you!! So, every time you are faced with a choice, take responsibility, and just to do what Champions do!
YOU CAN BE A CHAMPION